Monday, February 13, 2006

Sify Cricket

After a long break.. almost a month I am back to put up my latest blog. The same is the case with my cricket. Last Saturday, after a break of about 3 months, I played a cricket match for Sify. The match was at a ground in Vepery. The ground was odd shaped with the pitch being on the diagonal of a rectangular ground. As a result field placing was difficult as some of the boundaries especially on the legside were ridiculously close.

Sify won the toss and I opened for Sify with Karthik, my colleague. Now Karthik is a six footer who gives the ball a real thump when he gets going. He was in fine form that day and I had the best seat in the house. He dominated the bowling while I was content rotating the strike by picking the singles. Our partnership went well over a hundred in the first 13 overs.

We were going on at a brisk pace when the weather took its toll. It was on an average close to 88 Fahrenheit and I got dehydrated as a result. I had to retire to the pavilion (A few trees on the edge of the ground) but Karthik kept on going. In trying to up the ante we lost a few wickets and my captain asked me to pad up. I ended the innings at 45 n.o and we made 210 from 27 overs.

The opposition captain opened the innings and got off to a flying start. His name is Munuswamy and he was the captain of SPIC-TSC, a third division team in the TNCA league when I used to play there. He played a chanceless innings and literally took the game away from us single-handedly. I, for my part, picked up two wickets with my left arm orthodox spin but they got home with some 7 balls to spare.

Overall it was a good day for me and I had great fun. Arun Gopal my classmate from TAPMI had come from Hyderabad. Arun Panicker also came home that night and we had a whale of a time, talking about our memories of TAPMI and catching up on the latest gossip.

Overall it was a good weekend and the final touch was added by dinner at the Kebab Factory @ Radisson Hotel on Sunday night. Apart from Arun Gopal and me, Anand, Ronnie, Ashu, Prakash and Navin were also there. It was Navin's idea and the food was Awesome. We ate and ate and ate and also had a lot of fun. Navin and Prakash pulled out some old PJs from their repository and we were holding our sides laughing.

But physical exertion without proper training comes at a price. For the last three days every muscle,bone and sinew of mine has been making its presence felt. I am unable to walk properly cos my legs were hit by the cherry. I slept about 10 hours last night and I'm still feeling tired. All this reminds me of the importance of keeping fit physically. Unfortunately my fitness regime is like my blogging. It happens once in a while.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buddy u always puke .. in the middle of the innings ... when r u due to drop ... :D =))

11:50 PM  
Blogger Anirudh Baskaran said...

yeah Ajay was asking me How many months..and I told him 5

But then Shyam went in and maintained the R/Rate which i wud not have been able to do if i carried on.

12:16 AM  
Blogger GRAM said...

good going.....

wonder how come you never played like that for us at TAPMI....

Full distractions is it?

10:14 PM  
Blogger Anirudh Baskaran said...

Mucchan.. I dunno da.. I guess the difference between playing with a tennis ball and cricket ball. For tennis ball cricket you need to generate the power.. while with a cricket ball, one can get away with guiding it around.:)And you know how strong(or weak) I am.. heehehe

1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home